headspace Taringa provides FREE or low cost counselling and support services to young people aged 12-25 who are going through a tough time.
Our vision is to improve young people's mental, social and emotional wellbeing through the provision of high quality, integrated service when and where they are needed.
Please check out the rest of our website to find out more about our centre.
- Monday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:30am - 6:00pm
- Thursday: 9:30am - 6:00pm
- Friday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
headspace Taringa is operated by Open Minds Australia. All headspace services are funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Administration of funding is carried out by the headspace centre’s local Primary Health Network, in this case, North Brisbane PHN.
Nutrition screening, dietary assessment and education about food and lifestyle, also support around healthy eating strategies.
GPs can help with any physical health issues as well as issues related to sexual health, drug or alcohol use, relationship problems or feeling down or upset. Your centre may have a GP on site or links to one locally.
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with any alcohol or other drug concern.
A group of young people who help with events and some decision making at a centre. Ask your centre about getting involved.
Mental health workers – which may include psychologists, psychiatrists, counsellors and other workers – that can help if you're just not feeling yourself.
Sexual health screenings on site or links to local services.
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with work or study opportunities.
Centres have a range of programs and activities for young people. Just ask your centre what they have on.
Jobs and volunteering
Positions currently available at headspace Taringa
Salary: Fee for Service
headspace is the National Youth Mental Health Foundation providing early intervention mental health services to young people aged 12 to 25.The service is designed to make it as easy as possible for a young person and their family to get the help they need for problems affecting their wellbeing. This covers four core areas: mental health, physical health, work and study support and alcohol and other drug services. For more information about headspace you can watch headspace Year in Review 2014 - 15
headspace Taringa was established through a Consortium partnership of local organisations, led by Open Minds Australia (openminds.org.au) , and offers a multi-disciplinary model comprising a team of co-located services providing support to young people. Due to increasing demand and a commitment that headspace Taringa remains accessible to support young people seeking help; we are seeking to expand our allied mental health team with additional private practitioners who are interested in working for headspace and with young people.
Working at headspace Taringa offers allied mental health practitioners the opportunity to be part of an innovative service that is committed to improving the wellbeing of young people through the provision of high quality, integrated services when and where they are needed. For further information on headspace Taringa please visit headspace.org.au/taringa.
ALLIED HEALTH TEAM
headspace Taringa is seeking sub-contracted private allied health practitioners, such as experienced clinical psychologists, general psychologists, mental health social workers and occupational therapists to compliment the mental health platform of our service model. Practitioners interested in providing contracted services can negotiate flexible arrangements so as to maintain existing private or public work. Interested practitioners must be eligible to provide services under the Medicare Benefits Scheme: Better Outcomes for Mental Health Initiative.
As headspace Taringa is striving to increase accessibility to services for young people, appointments are provided at no cost to the young person. This means that as a private practitioner, you would agree to bulk bill young people for sessions with a minimum of 70% of the Medicare fee being paid to you.
The headspace Taringa intake team will undertake a comprehensive psycho-social assessment of all young people prior to referral to private practitioners. A range of on-site complementary services are available should additional supports be required. The headspace team will work in partnership with private practitioners to provide a comprehensive, wrap-around service for young people.
BENEFITS TO YOU
- Reception and administrative support provides assistance with electronic billing, SMS appointment reminders and appointment booking.
- Support from the centres Clinical Lead and Intake Team.
- The option to attend Clinical Review meetings and peer supervision.
- Access to online professional development via headspace.
- Working in a vibrant centre with other staff who love working with young people.
- Young person friendly consulting rooms, activity space, and a private work space with telephone and computer equipment.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and a maximum two page cover letter outlining the selection criteria outlined in the following position description click here
For more information contact:
Name: Jamie Thompson or Sam Kilby
Phone: (07) 3157 1555
Receive monthly tips, centre and industry updates, program offerings and reminders and much more! To subscribe, head to bit.ly/joinspacebook
At headspace Taringa we have a number of different friendly staff who can help you, including: Counsellors, Psychologists, Youth workers, Social Workers, Drug and alcohol workers and employment and study specialists.
headspace Taringa Staff:
- Jamie - Regional Manager, Allied Health
- Sam - Clinical Services Manager
- Alex - Operations Manager
- Rhiannon - Clinical Lead
- Cerese - Practice Manager
- Georgia - Community Development Officer
- Clare - Administration Officer
- Tori - Medical Receptionist
- Madison - Medical Receptionist
- Judy - Senior Intake and Assessment Officer
- Jake - Intake and Assessment Officer
- Jess - Intake and Assessment Officer
- Brendon - Clinical Psychologist
- Sharna - Psychologist
- Allegra - Provisional Psychologist
- Emma - Enhanced headspace Services (Mental Health Clinician)
- Emily - Enhanced headspace Services (Youth and Family Support Coordinator)
- Leah - Dietitian
In-kind (free) Support:
- Alcohol & Other Drugs Support - Paul (Clarence Street)
- Employment Support - Tracey-Ann (Matchworks) and Annabella (Lead)
- LGBTQIA+ Support - Evie (Open Doors Youth Service)
If you or someone who you know would like to book an appointment with us just call (07) 3157 1555 and speak to one of our friendly staff who can assist you with your enquiry. Low on credit? No worries - Just let one of our staff know when you call and we can will happily you back.
headspace Taringa offers a number of FREE bulk-billed services to young people through the Medicare system when you acquire a Mental Health treatment Plan from the GP.
To make a referral simply complete our referral form.
- 90 minute undercover parking is available under headspace Taringa. This is accessed off Moorak Street.
- Two to four hour street parking is available in the streets surrounding headspace Taringa.
- Accessibility parking is available in the Centre’s underground car park (with access off Moorak Street), and an accessibility ramp is provided to the Centre’s main entry.
- If you require lift access please speak to staff as the lift is not publicly accessible to our floor.
Public transport is available via numerous train and bus services.
- The Taringa train station is a 5 minute walk from the Centre’s main entry. For directions click here
- The nearest bus stop is located on Moggill Road (Stop 19), just a few minutes walk from the Centre. For directions click here
For the most up to date train and bus routes and schedules, please visit the Translink Journey Planner
To access some of the services at headspace Taringa at no cost a Medicare card may be required. To apply for a Medicare card, go to: bit.ly/medicarecard
Do know your Medicare details? You can call Medicare on 13 20 11 or speak to your headspace worker or one of our reception staff who can help you.
Did you know you can get you own Medicare card from the age of 15? For more information on this click here
The Youth Reference Group is made up of a diverse group of young volunteers aged 12 to 25 years, who help support and guide the centre on key components of youth mental heath service delivery and community awareness initiatives both within the Centre and the broader community.
The recruitment period for the Youth Reference Group runs from November through until March each year.
To apply simply complete our Youth Reference Group application form online.
headspace Taringa aims to provide easy access to services for young people at little or no cost and in most cases your headspace visit will be provided free of charge, however there are some circumstances that may result in services needing to be paid for. Where fees apply, you will be advised in advance. If you have concerns about your ability to pay a fee please discuss this with our administration staff or your Intake and Assessment Officer.
Allied Health Services (Clinical/General Psychologist, Social Worker, Occupational Therapist)
If you have a valid Australian Medicare Card and a current Mental Health Care Plan, up to 10 sessions in a calendar year with your allied health worker will be bulk-billed through Medicare.
If you are not eligible for an Australian Medicare Card, or do not wish to obtain a Mental Health Care Plan, or if you have used all of your 10 sessions for the year under your Mental Health Care Plan you will be charged to see the allied health worker as follows:
Clinical Psychologist: $129
General Psychologist: $88
Mental Health Accredited Social Worker: $78
- Payment for fee-for-service appointments can be made via EFTPOS (preferred) or CASH (please note that we do not keep large quantities of cash on-site and exact money is preferred).
- Fees are aligned to the Medicare Benefits Schedule and are subject to change if the Medicare rate increases.