headspace Toowoomba offers early intervention services for people aged from 12 to 25. Our services includes mental, physical & sexual health, drug & alcohol support, vocational & educational assistance. headspace Toowoomba is a safe, confidential environment you can go to if you:
- down, stressed or can't stop worrying
- don't feel like yourself
- can't deal with school/ finding it difficult to concentrate
- want to cut down on your drinking or drug use
- want to talk about sexuality, identity or relationships
- having difficulties with friendships
- being bullied, hurt or harassed
- worried about work or study
- having trouble at home
Our services are ‘bulk billed’ with your Medicare card.
- Monday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 7:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
headspace Toowoomba is operated by United Synergies. All headspace services are funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Administration of funding is carried out by the headspace centre’s local Primary Health Network, in this case, Darling Downs and West Moreton (Darling Downs and West Moreton PHN).
Mental Health Services
Mental health workers – which may include psychologists, psychiatrists, counsellors and other workers – that can help if you're just not feeling yourself.
Sexual Health Services
Sexual health screenings on site or links to local services.
Work & Study Services
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with work or study opportunities.
Centres have a range of programs and activities for young people. Just ask your centre what they have on.
GPs can help with any physical health issues as well as issues related to sexual health, drug or alcohol use, relationship problems or feeling down or upset. Your centre may have a GP on site or links to one locally.
Alcohol & Drug Services
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with any alcohol or other drug issue.
Youth Reference Group
A group of young people who help with events and some decision making at a centre. Ask your centre about getting involved.
Jobs and volunteering
Positions currently available at headspace Toowoomba
Allied Health Professionals, Part-time/Sessional & Full-time
We are seeking experienced allied mental health professionals to join our dynamic and progressive team on a contract/seasonal basis: General Psychologists, Clinical Psychologists, Mental Health Social Workers, Mental Health Occupational Therapists, and other Allied Health Practitioners with Medicare bulk billing eligibility.
headspace offers 12-25 year-olds general health and mental health services, alcohol and other drugs support, vocational and career support, as well as community engagement opportunities through a multidisciplinary team approach.
headspace Toowoomba is a partnership of local health and community service organisations provided under the auspice of United Synergies Ltd. Our aim is to provide fully integrated free primary health care services for young people in one “youth friendly” environment. Your role in this team would be to provide early intervention to young people with mild to moderate mental health problems.
For more information contact:
Phone: (07) 4639 9000
Access & Intake Worker, Full-time
The purpose of the Access and Intake Worker position is to effectively engage, screen, assess, develop treatment plans, provide brief interventions and coordinate care for young people aged 12-25 years that contact or are referred to headspace Toowoomba.
The Access and Intake Worker will work as part of a multidisciplinary team and will be an experienced professional with knowledge and experience in working with youth and mental health.
- Tertiary qualifications in Psychology, Social Work, Occupational Therapy or Mental Health Nursing are essential.
- Knowledge and understanding of mental health, evidence-based interventions and clinical practice as well as demonstrated excellence in the practical application of such, in the areas of youth mental health and alcohol and drug use
- Demonstrated ability to undertake initial screening activities and a comprehensive bio-psycho-social assessment to determine client care needs, and provide appropriate follow up support
- Experience in the delivery of brief therapeutic interventions, counselling services and holistic treatment planning
- Highly developed communication (including written) and interpersonal skills, and the ability to engage with young people, advocate on their behalf and establish and maintain effective relationships with staff, clients, carers and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver individual or group based skills training activities to assist clients’ psychosocial functioning (eg, life skills, anger management, problem solving, conflict resolution, etc).
- Demonstrated ability to conduct a risk assessment, including suicide risk and violence
- Ability to use a desktop computer, with familiarity with the Microsoft Windows environment and Microsoft Office applications and capacity to learn how to use a new clinical software package for keeping of electronic client records.
For more information contact:
Phone: (07) 4639 9000
General Practitioner, Part-time/Sessional & Full-time
headspace Toowoomba seeks a General Practitioner to operate out of their site.
What we are looking for:
- An interest in mental health (particularly early intervention)
- A desire to make a difference in the lives of young people
- To provide a full range of health services including sexual and reproductive health, chronic health management and general health checks
- Be Vocationally Registered and eligible to apply for a Medicare Provider number
What we can offer?
- Two General Practitioner consulting rooms
- Multi-disciplinary team focus with support from onsite Allied Health Practitioners and receptionist
- Flexible working hours with few limits while you build your practice
- Full administration support including reception, appointment bookings & billing
- Fully computerised medical software with IT support
- Fully managed case co-ordination along with regular multi-disciplinary case reviews
For more information contact:
Phone: (07) 4639 9000
Accessing our Services
All of our services are at no cost to young people or their family and many are ‘bulk billed’ with your Medicare card.
If you are unsure if you have or are eligible for a Medicare card go to https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/who-can-get-medicare-card to check if you meet the criteria and follow the prompts on how to get a Medicare card.
If you are not eligible for a Medicare card please contact headspace Toowoomba on 07 4639 9000 to discuss alternative options.
GPA Accredited General Practice
Our practice is accredited by the GPA after undergoing comprehensive evaluation achieving a GPA Plus rating; meaning we have achieved the highest accreditation rating for complying with the standards of general practice set by the RACGP. Call us on 07 4639 9000 to book an appointment with our Bulk Billing GP.
Youth Engagement Subcommittee
Are you aged between 12 and 25? Do you have something to say concerning the needs of young people and the challenges they face? Join the headspace Toowoomba Y.E.S crew and make a difference for youth in your local community.
What is the headspace Toowoomba Y.E.S crew?
headspace Toowoomba is providing anyone aged 12-25 with the opportunity to be heard and to take action to improve the health and well-being of young people.
There are a number of roles you can play in the headspace Toowoomba Y.E.S crew, including:
- Creating, developing and leading a project in your local area
- Developing and running promotional activities at local events
- Promotional consultation and development for service providers, young people and the general community
- Provide advice, research and evaluation of headspace Toowoomba services
- Consultation around resource development like factsheets, brochures and promotional material
- Peer support and mentoring
- Media Spokesperson
By getting involved you will:
- Meet a range of new people
- Have fun in a team environment
- Be a voice for young people in relation to health, wellbeing and social needs
- Provide feedback on how to improve youth mental health services
- Develop new skills
- Make a difference to headspace Toowoomba and your community
- headspace will provide training to support you in taking on this opportunity
How do I get involved?
headspace Toowoomba invite you to join our Youth Engagement Subcommittee (Y.E.S) crew . Getting involved is easy, simply email us on email@example.com.
Alternatively if you have any questions or would like more information, you can contact us during opening hours on 07 4639 9000.
See Role Description
Support for schools
Working collaboratively with schools is a priority for the team at headspace Toowoomba. We would like to compliment the great work already being achieved in schools and work with you to continue to improve the mental health and wellbeing of young people.
How can we work together to support the mental health and well-being of young people?
We support schools in promoting mental health with young people and their families in a number of ways. Some these are listed below and are featured in the drop down on the request form:
Service Presentation: headspace Toowoomba offers service presentations and accompanying resources to enable those supporting young people to make appropriate referrals to our service.
Youth Presentation: through the delivery of interactive presentations headspace Toowoomba aim to promote the services we offer through the centre, mental wellness, enhance awareness of mental health problems and build young people's capacity to seek help early.
headspace in Schools:
headspace in Schools provides youth-specific mental health education tools and access to mental health specialists for young people in primary and secondary school students across Australia. Through training and education, school staff and parents can better support students experiencing mental health issues.
With a focus on early identification and intervention, headspace in Schools builds mental health literacy and resilience in the school community while establishing referral pathways to general practitioners and mental health clinicians.
Event pop up: if you are holding an event, headspace Toowoomba are happy to attend and support your event with an information pop up and activity.
How to make a request:
If your school would like to engage with headspace Toowoomba please contact us via email, firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 07 4639 9000.
headspace fact Sheets: headspace have a number of fact sheets available on the website in printable PDF format. These files are able to be downloaded and printed at your convenience.
Support For Services
Building relationships with existing service providers in the area is a priority for the team at headspace Toowoomba. It is essential that we work together to support the mental health and well-being of local young people.
We currently provide a range of engagement options for services in the area. Some of which are listed below.
Service Presentations: does your service want to know more about headspace Toowoomba and how to make appropriate referrals to our service? We offer service presentations and accompanying resources to services supporting young people. These opportunities also offer our team an opportunity to find out more about your organisation and processes.
Event Pop Up: if your service is planning an event which has a youth mental health and well-being focus headspace Toowoomba can attend as a stallholder. Our pop up stall includes resources, merchandise, information and we can run a youth engagement activity if appropriate.
Making a Request
If your service would like to engage with headspace Toowoomba please contact our Community Engagement Team at email@example.com.
Click on the link to download printable versions of all the available headspace fact sheets
Organisations we are proud to partner and work with:
- Toowoomba Rugby League
- Carbal Medical Services
- Goolburri Aboriginal Health Advancement Co.
- Darling Downs Hospital & Health Service
- Child and Youth Mental Health Service (CYMHS)
- Adult Mental Health Services (AMH)
- CatholicCare Social Services
- Youth Connect - Toowoomba Regional Council
- Lives Lived Well
- University of Southern Queensland (USQ)
- Uniting Care
- Toowoomba Central Discount Drug Store
- Toowoomba Dental
- Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women
- Department of Housing and Public Works
- Department of Education and Training Queensland
- Queensland Police Service
Meet The Team
headspace Toowoomba staff are dedicated youth health professionals who can support you in a friendly, confidential and non-judgemental environment.
Scott - Centre Manager
- Favourite food? - Vietnamese rice paper rolls
- Dream Pet? Whippets
- Superpower of choice? - Flying
- Thing I love doing most? - thinking
- My '3 wishes to change the world' would be? 1. The world was secular and science based, 2. The world was free of animal cruelty and nature was valued, 3. The world was more caring and health and happiness was a priority
Cortnee- Clinical Lead
- Favourite food? Sushi
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Living life to the fullest and working with young people helping them to bring about change to enhance their wellbeing
- What are your professional areas of interest: Youth Mental Health, Advocacy and Suicide Prevention, Intervention and Postvention
Tamikah - Access and Intake Worker
- Favourite food? - Dinner
- Hobbies? - Watching Reality TV & cuddling dogs
- Favorite Radio Station - Triple J
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years? - Hopefully I have received my Hogwarts acceptance letter by then...
Phillip- Access and Intake Worker
- What are your areas of professional interest? Alcohol and other Drugs, Mental Health and Social Support. I've had a variety of jobs and also worked in hospitality, welding, tiling and painting before getting into Social Work.
- Least favourite food? Mushroom Soup
- What is your favourite thing to do on the weekend? Motorcycle riding
Bec - Senior Practice Administration Worker
- Favourite food? - Thai
- Dream Pet? - Chimpanzee
- Thing I love doing most? - Spending time with family & friends.
Amelia - Practice Administration Worker
- Superpower of choice? - To be invisible
- Dream Holiday? - Bora Bora
- Favourite Colour? - Pink
Emily - Practice Administration Worker
- Dream pet? - Fox
- Superpower of choice? - Teleportation
- Think I love doing most? - Catching up with friends