Youth Advisory Group
Are you aged between 12 and 25? Are you passionate about having your say about youth mental health and wellbeing? Join the headspace Bairnsdale Youth Advisory Group (YAG) and start making a difference in your local community. The YAG is a group of young people who meet regularly to talk about youth mental health and wellbeing and come up with new and innovative ways to raise the profile of the services headspace Bairnsdale offers.
There are a range of roles you can play in the headspace Bairnsdale YAG, including:
- Creating, developing and leading a project in your local area. For example, youth festivals, school events, music gigs, cinema screenings
- Peer support and mentoring. Take an active role in supporting young people to seek help early and break down the stigma in relation to youth mental health.
- Consulting around resource development such as factsheets, brochures and promotional materials
- Share one of the positions of the YAG, including chairperson, deputy chairperson, minute taker or time keeper
- Research and evaluation of headspace service. Find out whether our services are meeting the desired goals and objectives and come up with ideas on how we can improve our services
By getting involved you'll have the chance to:
- meet a range of new people
- provide feedback on how to improve mental health services
- develop new skills
- participate in various training opportunities
- organise and deliver events for young people in the community
- be a voice for young people in relation to health and wellbeing
For more information, contact Kirsten on (03) 5141 6200 or email us.
To apply, fill out the expression of interest form and send it to us here.
Same Sex Attracted and Sex and Gender Diverse (SSASGD) Support Group
Are you aged between 12 and 25 and identify as same sex attracted, sex or gender diverse or other? Do you know someone who identifies as SSASGD or you want to be part of taking action to raise awareness of the issues currently facing SSASGD people? Do you want to part of a group that shows social support to one another and challenges issues of homophobia and transphobia within the community? Are you interested in participating in regular meetings and activities to share your experiences with like-minded people?
The SSASGD Support Group will meet on a regular basis for young people to show each other social support, to be involved in the development of new and innovative approaches to address and support the mental health of SSASGD young people, and raising awareness of the issues facing SSASGD young people in East Gippsland.
The initiative is funded by the Victorian Government through the Healthy Equal Youth (HEY) Project. Partners of this group are Gippsland Lakes Community Health, the East Gippsland Shire Council and headspace Bairnsdale. If you are interested in joining, please contact headspace Bairnsdale on (03) 5141 6200 or by email.
Follow us on Facebook to keep up to date with meetings dates and times. Alternatively, visit the website to stay updated.