Hello and welcome to headspace Capalaba! We offer a range of services to assist young people aged 12-25 who are going through a tough time. At headspace Capalaba you can get help if you;
- Feel stressed out, worried or can’t calm down,
- Can’t focus and have thoughts or feelings you don't like or that worry you,
- Are having problems at work or school,
- Haven’t been feeling like yourself,
- Want to talk about gender or sexuality,
- Want to talk about contraception or sexual health issues,
- Would like to cut down or stop drinking or drug use,
- Are being bullied at school or work.
The headspace Capalaba staff and Consortium partners work together to make sure young people have access to a wide range of different services from psychologists to youth workers to housing support.
- Monday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 7:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am - 4:30pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
headspace Capalaba is operated by Aftercare. All headspace centres are funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Administration of funding is carried out by the headspace centre’s local Primary Health Network, in this case, Brisbane South (Brisbane South PHN).
Mental Health Services
Mental health workers – which may include psychologists, psychiatrists, counsellors and other workers – that can help if you're just not feeling yourself.
Work & Study Services
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with work or study opportunities.
Centres have a range of programs and activities for young people. Just ask your centre what they have on.
Alcohol & Drug Services
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with any alcohol or other drug issue.
Youth Reference Group
A group of young people who help with events and some decision making at a centre. Ask your centre about getting involved.
Jobs and volunteering
Positions currently available at headspace Capalaba
Independent Contractors: Mental Health Practitioners, Part-time/Sessional
Currently, we are seeking multiple youth-friendly allied health practitioners to join our growing team.
Opportunities are available for;
- General Practitioners
- Mental Health Nurses
- Clinical and General registered Psychologists
- Mental Health Social Workers
- Mental Health Occupational Therapists
Who we are looking for:
We have a number of opportunities for youth-friendly allied health practitioners to work as independent contractors within a cooperative, multi-disciplinary model of care, working closely with headspace colleagues and co-located service partners to maximise the services available to young people within our community. As an independent contractor, remuneration for these positions will be paid at a rate of 80% of the relevant MBS item fee per billed session. Successful applicants must be currently registered with their relevant industry body and eligible to obtain a Medicare Provider Number. Additionally, applicants must hold or be eligible to hold personal and professional indemnity insurances and an ABN.
What we offer:
- Ongoing referrals sourced from our established intake team
- Opportunities to work with and gain support from a multi-disciplinary team
- Opportunities for peer support through regular clinical review meetings
- Full administration support, including referral processing, diary management and appointment confirmations
- Fully-outfitted, youth-friendly consulting spaces for individual and group work
- Opportunities to access a wide range of professional development activities within our existing training framework
- Flexibility with hours and days worked
Click here to access a full position description or register your interest.
For more information contact:
Name: Franc Hayes
Phone: 1300 851 274
What's on at headspace Capalaba
Our Adulting 101 initiative is a series of workshops for young people aged 16-25, designed to teach some of the skills which may be missed in schools. The workshops include:
- Save Money - budgeting and taxes - 10am, 2nd of July
- Get Organised - general organisation - 2pm, 2nd of July
- Look after yourself - self-care and healthy relationships - 2pm, 4th of July
- Find a home - moving out and renting - 2pm, 5th of July
- Get employed - resume writing and interview skills - 2pm, 10th of July
- Eat Well - healthy eating and nutrition - 2pm, 12th of July
To register your attendance at any or all of these workshops, click here to complete a registration, or call us on 1300 851 274 to learn more!
July School Holidays
We have a range of groups organised for the July school holidays:
- Table Tennis Tournament - Tuesday 3rd and Tuesday 10th of July at 11:00am
- Gamespace - Wednesday 4th and Wednesday 11th of July at 3:30pm
- Origami - Thursday 5th and Thursday 12th of July at 11am
If you would like to know more about any of these events, or you would like to register your attendance, please don't hesitate to call us on 1300 851 274.
Accessing support from headspace Capalaba
If you are a young person between the ages of 12 – 25, there are a number of ways in which you can access our services at headspace Capalaba:
- You can refer yourself
- You can have a friend or family member refer you
- Your GP can refer you
- Your school, TAFE, University or other service provider can refer you
Making an appointment
To make an appointment at headspace Capalaba:
- You can call us on 1300 851 274
- You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can drop into the centre at 1/29-37 Moreton Bay Road, Capalaba 4157 during our opening hours
General Practitioners or Specialists can refer to headspace Capalaba by forwarding a Mental Health Treatment Plan and Referral Letter to either email@example.com or via fax on 07 3102 9218
headspace is a youth friendly service. All young people referred to headspace Capalaba must have given their consent for a referral to be made, and need to be attending appointments by their own choice.
Cost of Services
headspace Capalaba offers our services at no or low cost, however for young people to access some of these services at no cost, they are required to have a Medicare card. If the young person does not have a Medicare card, they can apply for one by clicking here. Additionally, young people over the age of 15 are eligible to apply for their own Medicare card; you can learn more about this here.
For young people who are ineligible to apply for a Medicare card, you are still able to access our services however there will be a cost associated as described in the table below:
Payments can be made with cash, or via EFTPOS, Visa or MasterCard. If a young person is unable to afford this, please speak to one of our friendly staff to arrange a payment plan.
Please be aware that our phone and email accounts are only checked during our opening hours. If you require immediate support, please contact:
- eheadspace on 1800 650 890 or click here
- Kids Helpline on 18100 551 800
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
- Emergency Services on 000
Our Youth Reference Group
The Youth Reference Group (YRG) guide all of the important decisions we make at headspace Capalaba, helping us ensure we remain youth friendly and meet the needs of the young people who call the Bayside area home. Our YRG is made up of enthusiastic young people aged 16-25 years who are passionate about making a difference in their community. The members bring a wide range of skills and experiences to the group, some have had their own experiences with mental health issues while others are interested in working with young people in the future. However they are all united by their passion for ensuring the needs of their generation are being met.
The role of the YRG is varied and members are offered a range of opportunities to contribute to our centre and their community including:
- reviewing decisions regarding the day to day running of the centre
- helping to plan youth events
- representing headspace Capalaba at events or in the media.
We are always looking for new passionate young people to join the headspace Capalaba Youth Reference Group, if this sounds like something you would be interested in, please fill in the registration form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the centre on 1300 851 274 to find out more.
Parking, Transport and Accessibility
Parking is available in front of headspace Capalaba, which is accessed via Moreton Bay Road. We are located in the first office on the left of the building.
Public transport to headspace Capalaba is available via multiple bus services.
- The closest bus stop is located right outside the Centre on Moreton Bay Road.
- Alternatively, the Capalaba Bus Station, as well as the Park n’ Ride are approximately a 10 minute walk from the Centre.
For the most up to date bus routes and schedules, please visit the Translink Journey Planner.
headspace Capalaba has accessibility parking available in the Centre’s car park. The Centre’s entrance is located at ground level.
Provide Us With Feedback
At headspace Capalaba we welcome and appreciate your feedback as it helps us continually improve our service for young people and their families.
Click here to let us know what you thought about your experience at headspace Capalaba.
You can also mail any feedback you may have for us to PO Box 186, Capalaba QLD 4157.