headspace Syndal offers young people aged 12-25 access to mental health and wellbeing support in a welcoming and friendly environment. We have an onsite youth friendly GP for physical and sexual health needs, an alcohol and other drug counsellor and work and study support.
At headspace Syndal we provide inclusive services and safe spaces for young people and the people they care about. Our Centre is located within walking distance of Syndal Train Station.
Appointments are free or low cost and can be made by calling our reception team on (03) 8552 0800. A friend, family member or someone you trust can also call on your behalf. Alternatively, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at the Centre.
- Monday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Thursday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Friday: 8:30am - 5:00pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
headspace Syndal is operated by Alfred Health. All headspace services are funded by the Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care. Administration of funding is carried out by the headspace centre’s local Primary Health Network, in this case, Eastern Melbourne PHN (EMPHN).
If you live near our headspace centre in a rural area but cannot travel in to see us, you can see our mental health workers online.
Sexual health screenings on site or links to local services.
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with work or study opportunities.
Mental health workers – which may include psychologists, psychiatrists, counsellors and other workers – that can help if you're just not feeling yourself.
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with any alcohol or other drug concern.
Jobs and volunteering
Positions currently available at headspace Syndal
Private Practitioner for a headspace centre located in Syndal (Monash area)
- OT/SW/Psychologist/Psychiatrists/General Practitioners
- Operate as a session based Private Practitioner and set your hours
- Honorary employee to Alfred Health, fixed term until June 2022
- Must have provider number for bulk-billing to Medicare
What's in it for you?
- Be involved in the establishment of a new headspace centre and an innovative youth mental health program that is making a real difference in the community.
- No fee charges for room or reception, therefore you receive 100% of the Medicare billing, and where clients can afford it, a full fee payment of $35 above the Medicare rebate amount.
- A supportive and fun team work environment with administration staff and senior clinicians to support you on site.
Established in 2006, headspace offers a 'one stop shop' for young people aged 12-25 and their families who may be experiencing mental health difficulties. It provides an opportunity for young people to receive help early and promotes a 'no wrong door' approach to supporting young people and their families through the provision of GPs, counsellors, alcohol and other drug workers and vocational and educational support.
What you'll be doing
- The private practitioner is responsible for the provision of counselling services to young people aged 12-25 years at headspace Syndal under a mental health care plan through Medicare-funded items as a private provider.
- Our experienced and supportive Access team will screen referrals, allocate to the appropriate private practitioner based on the young person's clinical needs and presentation and schedule first time clients into your appointment schedule.
- It's a condition of employment that appointees to this position are contracted private practitioners with Alfred Health operation from headspace Syndal.
- Relevant tertiary qualifications and registration (AHPRA or AASW)
- Must have Medicare provider number for bulk-billing
- Indemnity insurance to the value of AUD $10 million
- Current Victorian drivers licence
- Current working rights visa
- Satisfactory completion of a Police check and Working With Children's Check
For more information contact:
Name: Jane Laidlaw
Phone: (03) 9076 7500
headspace Syndal offers young people aged 12 to 25 access to mental health professionals for counselling and support.
Our services are free or low cost, and we will ensure that your privacy and confidentiality is maintained and respected.
With a Mental Health Treatment Plan - a formal document completed with a GP (Doctor) - you can access up to 20 Medicare funded sessions in any calendar year (Jan - Dec).
Please speak with our team if you are concerned about the possible cost of seeing a mental heath clinician. Our team can also provide you with advice on how to obtain a Mental Health Treatment Plan.
We have a youth-friendly GP at headspace Syndal.
What a GP can help you with:
- Physical health concerns
- Sexual health and contraception
- Alcohol and other drug use
- Relationship problems
- Or if you are experiencing depression, anxiety or any other mental health concerns
Our GP services are all bulk billed (so, free!)
To make a booking, you can contact our team via phone (03) 8552 0800 or email
If your use of alcohol and other drugs is preventing you from achieving what you want, headspace Syndal may be able to help.
We offer free alcohol and other drug counselling with a professional and experienced counsellor.
Click here to view headspace AOD resources and interactive supports.
headspace work and study programs support young people aged 15-25 years with everything related to education and employment. From finding your first job to deciding what to study, we can help. Support is available in the centre or online. Our services are free and tailored to your individual needs.
Walking into a headspace centre could be a nerve-wracking experience for some young people, especially those who might have to do it alone. At headspace Syndal, we have @ease volunteers who support all young people walking through our doors, and to help young people to comfortably “ease” into the services we provide.
We understand that family and friends are often the first to notice when you are struggling.
This comprehensive guide includes mental health resources, tips on how to communicate with young people and support for work and study.
Sometimes it's not just young people who could benefit from speaking to someone. At headspace Syndal we offer counselling for the whole family.
Your family can access counselling even without a young person engaged in services. Sessions are one hour with a maximum of two per family, and are bulk-billed or low cost.
If you're not feeling up to coming in to headspace Syndal in person or are unable to do so, please consider creating a free account with eheadspace.
eheadspace provides free online and telephone support and counselling to young people 12 - 25 and their families and friends. If you’re based in Australia and going through a tough time, eheadspace can help:
- If you are feeling down
- If you are feeling stressed
- If you are being bullied
- If you have concerns about drugs and alcohol
- Getting along with your family and friends
- Romantic relationships
- Questions about sex
- Questions about gender and who you are attracted to
- Getting advice about helping a friend
- Anything you want to talk about!
You can get support for your mental health by creating a headspace account. Here, you can access group chats, online communities, and 1:1 direct support with qualified and committed eheadspace professionals.
eheadspace operates between 9am – 1am (Melbourne time) 7 days a week for a 1-on-1 chat. It’s a confidential, free and safe space to talk about what’s going on.
PLEASE NOTE - eheadspace is not a crisis service. If you are in need of emergency assistance, please call 000 immediately, or a crisis support service: Lifeline - 13 11 41 and online, or Kid's Helpline - 1800 55 1800.
If your school or community organisation would like some mental health information or resources headspace Syndal can help. We regularly collaborate with:
- Sporting clubs
- Local businesses
- Community based organisations.
Please complete this form with details about your event. One of our team will be in touch, however please be aware we are not always available on weekends
You will need a Medicare Card to visit headspace Syndal.
Please view information about our fees here.
If you are over the age of 15, you can apply for your own Medicare card. Visit this link for more information.
If you are ineligible for a Medicare Card please call us (03) 8552 0800 so we can help you.
Is there a volunteer program at headspace Syndal?
Young people aged 18-25 can volunteer with headspace Syndal to help improve the mental health and wellbeing of their community.
The Youth Advisory Committee (YAC) is a group of young people that develops and delivers community events and projects, as well as providing feedback to headspace Syndal on how to improve mental health services. YAC members have the opportunity to expand their skills and knowledge in advocacy, public speaking, events and mental health.
How do I get involved?
YAC applications are currently CLOSED. If you are interested in joining our YAC, please keep an eye on our Instagram for future opportunities.
headspace Syndal is accessible for all people, with ground floor rooms available on request. We also have a gender neutral bathroom.
If there is anything you need to make your visit with us comfortable and enjoyable, please let us know.
headspace Syndal is easily accessible by public transport and car.
headspace Syndal is a short walk from Syndal Train Station, which is on the Glen Waverley line. Exit the train station to the right and cross to the other side of Blackburn Road. Turn left and continue to walk along Blackburn Road until you see the green headspace sign.
The 737 and 703 bus stops are a short walk from headspace Syndal. We recommend using the PTV Journey Planner
There are parking spaces at the front of our centre facing Blackburn Road. Street parking is also available behind our centre along Doynton Parade.
If you need additional support, please call us on (03) 8552 0800