headspace Parramatta provides mental health support, services and information to young people, aged 12-25, and their families and friends. We can help with mental health, general health, alcohol and other drug services as well as employment support.
Young people aged 12-25 you do not require a formal referral. Simply phone, email or show up in person or fill in our intake form online to arrange an appointment with one of our staff.
Bookings are required for appointments after 5pm on weekdays.
Important update to our centre:
The health and wellbeing of young people and their families is our top priority. In response to COVID-19 and its safety protocols, we will be seeing young people, their family and friends in-person as well as using telehealth services. We are available during our business hours in-person at our centre, over there phone, email and video-based platforms. Please check our contact section to get in touch with us.
headspace Parramatta is operated by Flourish Australia. All headspace services are funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Administration of funding is carried out by the headspace centre’s local Primary Health Network, in this case, Western Sydney PHN (Wentwest Ltd).
Mental health workers – which may include psychologists, psychiatrists, counsellors and other workers – that can help if you're just not feeling yourself.
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with any alcohol or other drug issue.
A headspace early intervention program to improve the lives of young people, and their families, who are affected by psychosis.
Centres have a range of programs and activities for young people. Just ask your centre what they have on.
GPs can help with any physical health issues as well as issues related to sexual health, drug or alcohol use, relationship problems or feeling down or upset. Your centre may have a GP on site or links to one locally.
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with work or study opportunities.
A group of young people who help with events and some decision making at a centre. Ask your centre about getting involved.
Jobs and volunteering
Positions currently available at headspace Parramatta
Employer: Flourish Australia
Join the team at headspace Parramatta and/or headspace Castle Hill!
Following provides an understanding of headspace, its culture and what is required to be part of the team.
headspace works from an early intervention framework with young people who have mental health issues or emerging issues. We deliver four core services which includes general health, mental health support, vocational services, and alcohol and other drug services.
headspace offers a busy and supportive team environment. As a contracted practitioner, you receive referrals from the headspace team and we will perform almost all the Medicare and admin work for you! As a contracted practitioner you will be part of our very supportive team of clinicians and professionals.
- Degree in Psychology, Social Work, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Counselling.
- Full AHPRA registration (General or Clinical) or relevant registration.
- 2+ years of Post Graduate experience
- Proven recent clinical experience and competence undertaking biopsychosocial assessments, risk assessments and providing focused psychological strategies
- Experience within Mental Health.
- Eligible for Medicare Provider number
- National Police Check
- Working with Children Check
- Sound knowledge of the impact of mental illness on young people and the ability to provide a positive impact on the wellbeing of patients in a youth-friendly manner
- Excellent clinical and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment and be flexible in your work schedule
About the Role:
- Working with personality, mood anxiety and substance abuse disorders using evidence-based treatment strategies.
- Participation in clinical decisions about treatment planning, assessment, risk management and working with other treatment services.
- The primary objective of the position is to provide high-level clinical services to a broad range of individuals presenting with a variety of psychological difficulties and disorders.
About the Pay:
We offer an hourly rate that is highly competitive, despite being a bulk billing service which we achieve by only charging you a small percentage of your earnings for room hire and admin support. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions and/or would like to discuss further.
If you are interested in being part of a multidisciplinary team where you feel valued, challenged and know that you are making a difference on a daily basis in each patient’s outcome then we encourage you to submit your cover letter and resume. Please include your availability with your application.
For more information contact:
Name: Tom Traae - Senior Clinical Manager headspace Services
Phone: 0408 401 343
Employer: Flourish Australia
headspace is an exciting initiative funded by the Primary Health Network designed to improve health and wellbeing outcomes for young people (12 – 25 years). Using an early intervention approach, headspace utilises a “wrap-around” service model specifically to meet the needs of young people at risk of developing mental illness, substance use disorders or other issues.
headspace Parramatta/Castle Hill is made possible through the collaboration and contribution of a range of local service providers, led by Flourish Australia forming the headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill Consortium. The Consortium provides expertise, support and advice to support the strategic operation of headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill.
The Independent Chairperson will provide leadership to the Consortium, ensuring members work effectively together to best achieve the mission of headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill.
Mission and Objectives
The mission of headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill is to improve young people’s mental, social and emotional wellbeing through the provision of high quality, integrated services when and where they are needed.
headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill does this by:
- offering a range of integrated comprehensive services across four core platforms: primary health, mental health, drug & alcohol services and educational/vocational support
- assisting young people to reconnect to their family / carer / friends and community
- undertaking health promotion activities that increase community awareness of the headspace Centres and an understanding of mental health with the aim of encouraging help seeking behaviour in young people
- engaging in community development initiatives that challenge the stigma of mental illness, encourage social inclusion and promote the well-being of young people
- supporting the development of a more youth-friendly and mental health proficient workforce
- undertaking advocacy to address issues affecting young people and effect service sector reform
- underpinning our work with a commitment to youth participation – supporting young people to actively contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of programs which affect their well-being
Location: headspace Parramatta/Castle Hill
Employment Status: This is a voluntary position, supported by Flourish Australia as lead agency of the headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill consortium.
Commitment: The Consortium meets bimonthly on a Wednesday for 2 hours from 10.30am to 12pm. There may be occasions where this is more frequent. Reading of information and consultation around agenda and minutes will be required between meetings.
Tenure: 2 years
Organisational Relationships and Support:
This position is accountable to the Chief Executive of Flourish Australia, Lead Agency for headspace Parramatta/Castle Hill.
The duties and responsibilities of the Chairperson include:
- presiding at meetings of the Consortium and ensuring that business is conducted efficiently and that meetings are conducted properly including formation of sub-committee structure when required
- supporting members of the Consortium to understand and discharge their roles, responsibilities and accountabilities and to build skills and capabilities necessary for the Consortium to fulfil its obligations
- encouraging and enabling participation by all members of the Consortium including ensuring Consortium workload is shared between all members
- ensuring meetings focus on the strategic and advisory role as defined in the Terms of Reference
- ensuring that there is an effective process for identifying and managing conflicts of interest
- ensuring that members operate in an ethically, environmentally and socially responsible fashion
- Represent headspace Parramatta/ Castle Hill as required
Skills (Selection Criteria):
- Demonstrable leadership experience
- Experience as a Chairperson in a range of different roles
- Sound knowledge of governance requirements and processes
- A collaborative style of decision making
- Effective communications skills
- Knowledge of community-based organisations
- Demonstrated interest in the health and wellbeing of young people
- Independence – not currently employed by Flourish Australia.
For more information contact:
Name: Tom Traae - Senior Clinical Manager headspace Services
Phone: 0408 401 343
What is telehealth?
Although headspace has been generally providing in-person counselling support at our centre, due to COVID-19, and the current climate with physical distancing measures and safety protocols, to ensure we are able to still provide a service to young people, their families and friends, we will now continue to see young people and their families and friends in-person but we will also be continuing with telehealth services for those who prefer this method.
Telehealth services consist of any health-related communication via telephone and video conferencing platforms and applications. Instead of in-person appointments, we are now providing online appointments over phone calls and video calls using ‘Zoom’.
Here's a short video explaining "what is telehealth?"
To find out more about our telehealth services, such as:
How to use telehealth services
How to make the most of telehealth services
Frequently Asked Questions
Please download - Guidelines for Young People to use Telehealth.
If you have used our telehealth services, and would like to provide some feedback on how it went and how we can improve, please fill out the survey here.
If you are new to Telehealth or would like further information on our privacy, consent, and confidentiality information, please download our Telehealth Privacy, Consent, Confidentiality & Cancellation Policy.
For additional information on telehealth, please visit - headspace online and phone services (telehealth).
Rights & Responsibilities
Please download the Rights & Responsibilities Flyer.
For more information on 'Setting up a safe place at home to talk to your counsellor' please download the flyer here.
You can also access more information on 'How headspace can help you online' by downloading the flyer here.
If you have any questions or concerns with using our Telehealth services, please contact us on 1300 737 616 or email@example.com
If you are a young person and wish to see someone at headspace Parramatta, you are welcome to email, call or drop in during our business hours to discuss your options. Please provide your contact details such as your email and phone number.
Please find more information in our Information Pack.
Parents, Family, Carers and Friends
If you are the family member, carer or friend of a young person and wish to refer them to headspace Parramatta, you are welcome to call us during our business hours to discuss their options. Please ensure that the young person who you are referring is willing to engage with headspace and is able to attend appointments. Please provide your contact details such as your email and phone number.
Please find more information in our Information for Friends & Family Flyer.
If you are a service provider, health professional, or from a school and wish to refer a young person to headspace Parramatta, please complete our Service Provider Referral Form. Prior to completing the form, please ensure that you have obtained the young person's consent and provide as much information as possible so that headspace Parramatta's Intake Officer can determine the suitability and the most appropriate treatment options for the young person. headspace Parramatta will contact the young person and inform you thereafter of the outcome of your referral with us.
Please return this form by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax 02 8331 6056.
We recommend that you follow up the emailed or faxed referral with a phone call, just to make sure we've received it.
Our phone number is: 1300 737 616.
Please note: headspace Parramatta does not offer crisis or emergency support. If you or someone you care for needs immediate emergency support, please call 000 (Police, Fire, Ambulance), go to a hospital emergency department or call the NSW Mental Health Line on 1800 011 511.
For after-hours services, please contact:
- eheadspace on 1800 650 890 or eheadspace.org.au (9am-1am, 7 days a week)
- The Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 (24/7)
- Lifeline on 13 11 14 (24/7)
If you have a booked appointment to come into our centre for an in-person appointment, please fill this 'Health Check' form out prior to your visit to the centre.
Before accessing our centre in-person, all young people and their family and friends must full in the 'Health Check' form.
Please note, if you are feeling unwell, have been in a hotspot area, or have been in contact with someone who has been in a hotspot area, please let us know and reschedule your appointment. You can access the 'NSW Covid Health Advice' here.
When you come in, we will:
- Ask you to sign in using the Service NSW QR code available outside our door at our centre
- We will do a quick temperature check, if you are 37.5 degrees Celsius or over, we will ask you to reschedule your appointment
- We ask that you use the hand sanitiser when you arrive at our centre, and again before you leave
- We will also have face masks available if you wish to use one during your appointment, however, this is not mandatory
These resources will all be available at our centre.
We are committed to supporting everyone to stay safe and well.
Thank you for helping us do that.
headspace Parramatta provides free youth mental health services to community and local schools in the local Parramatta area.
The Service & Community Development Officer is able to provide the following:
- Attend a mental health event and hold an interactive information stall
- Provide educational presentations and workshops on mental health topics, information about our service and referral pathways
- Mental health educational and promotional material, and
- In service tour where you are able to visit our centre, meet our staff and find out more about headspace Parramatta
The services provided have a mental health promotion and educational focus.
We deliver these services to promote positive mental health and wellbeing (please note that these services do not have a medical or therapeutic focus).
For more information, please contact the Service & Community Development Officer at headspace Parramatta at email@example.com or on 1300 737 616.
Due to the current COVID-19 circumstances, some requests will to be fulfilled through online videoconferencing.
Our centre is located on 2 Wentworth Street, Parramatta, 2150 (entry via Parkes Street).
The centre is located close to Parramatta Train Station (a 4 minute walk) and is also wheelchair accessible. Alternatively there is a secure paid parking lot on Wentworth street.
Our centre has a ‘no wrong door policy’ which means no young person is turned away without connection to appropriate internal or external services. Please note that the toilet within our centre is gender neutral.
Front view of our Parkes Street entrance
Street View of our centre
An initiative of the headspace Parramatta Youth Advisory Committee.
Here at headspace Parramatta, it takes wonderful and passionate people to complete our team and help support the young people that visit our centre.
Our Team Includes:
Rachelle - Acting Clinical & Operations Manager
Sharon - Administration Support Officer
Donald - Youth Access Team Leader
Fardowsa - Senior Youth Access Clinician
Karina - Senior Youth Access Clinician
Andrea - Senior Youth Access Clinician
Seamus - Youth Access Clinician
Jennie - Service & Community Development Officer
Dr. Oen - Psychiatrist
Dr. Rachel - GP
Dr. Ada - GP
Contributing Consortium Members:
Anastasia - AOD & Mental Health Clinician
Ali - AOD & Mental Health Clinician
Ian - Carer Advocate
Mary - Registered Psychologist
Kristen - Registered Psychologist
Naiha - Registered Psychologist
Tony - Registered Psychologist
Susan - Dietician
At our centre, we run groups for young people and their families and friends.
Our current groups are:
Tips for Parenting your Teens
Online Zoom chats about ways to improve your relationship with your teen, better understand your teen, and ways to talk to your teen so they listen.
When: Wednesday 5-6pm via Zoom
Where: via Zoom
What: This group is for Parents & Carers of young people run by Interrelate Relationship Counsellor Ian Parker.
Link to flyer here.
For more information on any of these groups please contact headspace Parramatta on 1300 737 616 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
A key part of headspace Parramatta is our consortium support. These partnerships broaden young people’s access to arrange of services.
Our valued consortium partners are as follows:
We value input from young people and their friend and families.
Have your say about our centre by filling out the Praise, Suggestion & Feedback survey here. Your feedback will be used to ensure that we continually improve our services.
Our forms are private and confidential and you can choose not to leave your details. However, if you wish to receive a response in regards to your feedback, please leave your contact details in the survey.