headspace Mount Isa is a free health service for young people ages 12 - 25. Our range of services includes mental, physical and sexual health, drug and alcohol information, vocational and educational support.
Our dedicated staff includes a Care Coordinator a ATSI Care Coordinator, Social Worker, Psychiatrist, Vocational Specialists, Dietitian, Exercise Physiologist, Family Mental Health Support Worker, GP, and Mental Health Nurse.
We also have our Practice Manager, Receptionist and a Community and Youth Engagement Officer.
Don't think it's shame to come see us, we are here to help you before your problems may overwhelm you, no matter what they are. Your doctor might refer you but there is no need for a formal referral, call us, email us, or just come in and see us! You can even complete a referral online here . Where there is need and we have the capacity, we can even offer after hours appointments with Centre Manager approval.
headspace Mount Isa is fully wheelchair accessible.
Complaints? Compliments? General Feedback? Please complete a Feedback Form here
“Did you know that you’re able to apply for your own Medicare card if you’re aged 15 or older?”
- Monday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Tuesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Thursday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
headspace Mount Isa is operated by Mount Isa Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service T/A Gidgee Healing. All headspace services are funded by the Australian Government Department of Health. Administration of funding is carried out by the headspace centre’s local Primary Health Network, in this case, Western Queensland (North West Hospital and Health Services).
Nutrition screening, dietary assessment and education about food and lifestyle, also support around healthy eating strategies.
GPs can help with any physical health issues as well as issues related to sexual health, drug or alcohol use, relationship problems or feeling down or upset. Your centre may have a GP on site or links to one locally.
Alcohol & Drug Services
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with any alcohol or other drug issue.
Youth Reference Group
A group of young people who help with events and some decision making at a centre. Ask your centre about getting involved.
Mental Health Services
Mental health workers – which may include psychologists, psychiatrists, counsellors and other workers – that can help if you're just not feeling yourself.
Sexual Health Services
Sexual health screenings on site or links to local services.
Work & Study Services
Workers either on site or linked to the centre who can assist you with work or study opportunities.
Centres have a range of programs and activities for young people. Just ask your centre what they have on.
Wanting to make a referral for yourself or for someone you know, down below are two options for making a referral. This is the first important step to making an appointment with headspace. You can also pop into the office to make the referral.
Please click here to complete a referral online.
Please click here to download our referral form.
Meet the team
If you ever need to come to headspace Mount Isa for some support, these are some of the friendly staff you might meet.
Overseeing the headspace Mount Isa centre, ensuring it runs like clockwork and is providing the services that we offer is our
Centre Manager - Sigrid
If you have booked an appointment to come in and speak to someone face-to-face for some support, those helpful people you will meet are...
Patrick - Social Worker/Clinical Lead
Christine - ATSI Care Coordinator
Michelle - Care Coordinator
Georgia - Mental Health Clinician
Fayelynne - Vocational Specialist, IPS Team
Salina - Vocational Specialist, IPS Team
At the helm of our care coordinators, ensuring all clinical matters run smoothly is...
Patrick and Georgia
For whatever reason you’re contacting headspace Mount isa, you will first meet…
Florence - Practice Manager
Jazmyn – Receptionist/Administration Officer
And if you are interested in getting out there and being involved in what is going on in the community or if you are interested in headspace facilitating an activity or talk contact;
Margaret - Youth & Community Engagement Officer
Groups at headspace Mount Isa
headspace Mount Isa has a number of awesome groups available so you can hang out, make friends, build skills and have fun.
Check out this space for all the awesome ways you can get involved with headspace Mount Isa!
- Jobspace - 15 to 25yrs on Tuesday 2:30pm to 3:3:0pm
- Chillzone with Margaret - 12-25yrs on Tuesday 3:00pm to 4:30pm
- Mums, Bubs and Tums - on Wednesday 10:30am to 12:30pm
- Anime - Ichiban club - 12 to 25yrs on Wednesday 3:00pm to 4:00pm
- My Mind, My Body, My Spirit 12 to 25yrs on Wednesday 4:00pm to 5:30pm
- ASD Group - 12 to 25yrs on Thursday 3:15pm to 4:15pm
- PRISMA LGBTIQ+ Group - 12-25yrs on Thursday fortnightly 3:30pm to 4:30pm
- Deadly Arts with Christine - 12 to 25yrs on Friday 2:30pm to 4:00pm
- Coffee Corner with our staff and community on Friday 2:00pm to 4:00pm
- Youth Reference Group - Youth SQUAD are young people between 16 to 25yrs that want to make a difference in their community. Have input in what programs are run at headspace and have discussions about issues faced by Young People. Training is provided for this group. If you are interested please contact us Ph: (07) 4437 1300
Jobspace is an Individual Placement and Support program is a model of practice where mental health and employment support is combined. An IPS Vocational Specialist is a part of the team at headspace centre at Mount Isa.
Who can access the Jobspace IPS Youth Program?
- Young people accessing headspace services in Mount Isa
- Young people aged between 15 to 25 years
- Individuals with employment, education or training goals and facing barriers to achieving these goals
- People willing to engage in the program and able to make an informed decision to participate
Our vocational workers can help you with:
- finding a suitable job while looking after your mental health
- professional resume writing
- job applications
- cover letters and selection criteria
- mentoring and assistance
- ongoing support
- help with job active meetings
If your interested in seeing the Jobspace team contact headspace Mount Isa firstname.lastname@example.org or Ph 4437 1300.
Mental health in the Workplace
Creating a mentally healthy workplace is everyone’s responsibility.
One in five Australian workers is currently experiencing a mental health condition.*
It is estimated that untreated mental health conditions cost Australian workplaces approximately $10.9 billion per year*:
- $4.7 billion in absenteeism,
- $6.1 billion in presenteeism
- $146 million in compensation claims.
Six million working days are lost annually when people either can’t come in, or are at work but not able to perform to their usual standard.*
Stigma and fear of discrimination prevents people from speaking openly and seeking the support they need at work.
* Australian Bureau of Statistics National Survey of Mental Health and Wellbeing: Summary of Results 2007.
REASONS FOR HAVING A MENTALLY HEALTHY WORKPLACE:
- Absenteeism: reduces absenteeism and high staff turnover
- Presenteeism: increases productivity
- Retention: reduces the number of people who leave jobs
MENTALLY HEALTHY WORKPLACES:
- Promote a positive, productive workplace culture
- Minimise risks to employees mental health
- Support people
- Prevent discrimination
- Are positive productive places where people want to work
- Jobs become more stable
- Rewards are more frequent
- Workplace confidence is higher
THINGS YOU CAN DO TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE:
- Take care of your own mental health and personal safety – be a positive role model
- Educate yourself about mental health
- Be aware of the personal safety of your colleagues
- Respect other people and celebrate differences
- Speak up if you see instances of bullying, harassment or discrimination
- Cooperate with work place policies and procedures
headspace Mount Isa offer Mental Health in the workplace information sessions and training covering topics to support mentally healthy workplaces. Contact headspace Mount Isa to find out more information email@example.com or phone 4437 1300.