headspace Youth National Reference Group Member - hY NRG
WHAT IS HEADSPACE
headspace is the Australian Youth Mental Health Foundation. Recognised globally, headspace helps thousands of young people, and their family and friends, access vital support through our headspace services in over 149 communities across Australia, our online and phone counselling services, our vocational services, and our presence in schools. To learn more about headspace and the services we offer, visit headspace.org.au.
ABOUT THE ROLE
headspace aims to provide young people with meaningful opportunities to directly participate and collaborate with the organisation. A major aspect of headspace National's Youth Participation strategy is the headspace Youth National Reference Group (hY NRG).
hY NRG is made up of a group of 20 young people of varying ages, genders, cultural backgrounds and life experiences who are appointed as casual employees for an 18-month term to shape headspace National services, campaigns and projects. hY NRG members are young people passionate about youth mental health who have a connection to or been involved with a headspace or another support service.
hY NRG work with headspace National contributing their expertise and lived experience to a range of national projects. These could include media campaigns, collaborating on content series for mental health literacy or speaking at conferences on youth mental health.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
Young people aged 16-25 who are passionate about youth mental health and have been involved with a headspace or another mental health service in the last 12 months. This could include attending a headspace centre, being a part of a local Youth Reference Group, being a part of the headspace Work and Study Online service, online career mentoring service, or accessed support via eheadspace. It could also mean being involved with a service within your school, TAFE or uni, local GP, private counselling or other youth mental health service.
You will have a willingness to talk about youth mental health experiences and share your story about seeking support, as well as contribute your expertise to inform headspace campaigns, projects and programs. You will have strategies in place to manage and actively look after your own wellbeing.
You will have strong communication skills, and the ability to work both independently and in a team.
We have several positions in the hY NRG team for young people who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander, are from a multicultural backgrounds, identify as LGBTQIA+ or are living with a disability or chronic illness.
We encourage young people from all backgrounds and life experiences to apply.
Please note: those who have already submitted an application for the 2023 hY NRG term do not need to resubmit and will be considered alongside any applicants received in this round of recruitment.
BENEFITS FOR YOU
- Be supported to contribute your expertise and lived experience to help shape and improve headspace services for other young people.
- Develop your skills and experience in public speaking, media, advocacy, project management, storytelling and facilitation
- Join a community of young advocates with lived experience from around the country and develop your profile as a young advocate
- Participate in media, events and campaigns across Australia to break down stigma and strengthen youth mental health services and programs
HOW TO APPLY
- To ensure the process is accessible for all young people, you have the option to submit your applications in writing, via video or over the phone.
- Click on 'Apply Now' to view the position description, and to complete the application form.
- Your application must include a resume and completed application form (in writing, video or via a phone call with our friendly staff).
- For more information contact James Malcolm at email@example.com using the subject line headspace National Youth Reference Group member enquiry.
TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS POSITION YOU MUST
- Be aged between 16 and 25 years at the time of the application
- Are passionate about mental health
- Have a connection to or been involved with a headspace or another support service or program within the last 12 (this could include attending a headspace centre, being a part of a local Youth Reference Group, being a part of the headspace Work and Study Online service, online career mentoring service, or accessed support via eheadspace and/or a service within your school, TAFE or uni, local GP, private counselling or other youth mental health service)
- Are available and willing to take part in all aspects of hY NRG for an 18-month term
- Have the right to live and work in Australia
- Have or willing to undergo a Police Check or Working with Children Check (WWCC) or equivalent, and/or pass all the WWCC(s) required for this role (please note that for some roles, headspace requires WWCCs for other State/Territories in addition to your Home State)
- Have proof and be up to date with your Covid-19 vaccinations in accordance with the headspace COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Policy and any Government directive
Applications close: 11:59pm AEST, Sunday 14 May 2023
headspace is committed to being a child safe and child friendly organisation that recognises, respects and promotes the rights of children, young and vulnerable people.
For more information contact:
Name: James Malcolm