School Mental Health Education
An important part of headspace Southport's role in community is to promote headspace services to young people, parents/carers, schools and organisations. Our Community Engagement team are keen to do this by collaborating with education providers on the Gold Coast by offering presentations about headspace services and partnering on activities/events/something cool!
Use this form if you are a school/education setting and keen to work with us in this way.
Unfortunately we aren't able to offer presentations or workshops on mental health.
Here are some evidenced-based, clinician-led programs and other offerings specifically developed for schools that may be able to service your request.
headspace Schools & Communities: Mental Health Education Program
- FREE face to face workshops to students in grade 6 – 12
- Suite of 7 different workshops. Schools are welcome to select workshops based on the needs of each cohort
- Run smaller workshops (no more than 50—60 students) in order for them to be as engaging and interactive as possible. They are unable to attend schools for single sessions and require full days of back-to back workshops e.g. 4 workshops per day
- Not a crisis service – they do not offer workshops to schools who have just been impacted by a death by suicide or other tragedy
- If you are interested email MHEP@headspace.org.au or for more information click here
headspace Schools & Communities: Be You Program
- National mental health initiative for school staff and educators
- Be You consultants can support schools in the suicide postvention space, providing consultation following a suicide death in their school. This can include next steps guidance and best practice support for them to manage their response
- Be You do not generally attend schools onsite, as they cover the whole of QLD, so instead they conduct their consultations over the phone or via online platforms
- If you are ever made aware of a suicide death in a school, please contact the QLD Be You consultant on 0455 079 803 or for more information about the program click here
- Engage your school community in positive mental health conversations and life changing behaviours
- Batyr’s unique, evidence based programs are designed to support students in Years 9 to 12. They work closely with schools to recognise students’ needs and engage them on their level to embed positive attitudes towards help-seeking and wellbeing
- Delivered by a trained team of young and enthusiastic facilitators (rather than teachers or mental health professionals) their programs connect with students as peers. They are strengths-based and positively framed, with students walking away with practical tips and tools on how to look after their own mental health and support their friends
- Batyr’s programs centre around real-life lived experiences of young people overcoming mental ill-health. These safe stories are carefully developed to focus on themes of help seeking, hope, resilience and the positive outcomes of reaching out for support
- A fee for service model. If you are interested email email@example.com or for more information click here.
ACCORAS – Community Education
- Offer a number of different workshops to local schools in South Brisbane and on the Gold Coast for primary and secondary schools
- Available workshops include LoveBites, the Koping Adolescent Program, CALD focussed workshops and transitional workshops for students starting secondary school
- If you are interested complete the contact form here to make an enquiry
Kids Helpline @ Schools
- Connect your primary school classroom to a Kids Helpline counsellor for free!
- Free, early intervention and prevention sessions for primary schools in Australia
- Facilitated by a qualified Kids Helpline Counsellor via a video link
- Evidence-informed lessons that are educational and interactive in a fun, engaging environment
- Counsellor can work with you to tailor each session to the needs of your school or class
- If you are interested phone 0455 562 629 or email firstname.lastname@example.org