headspace Day 2016
During mental health week (9th October – 16th October), we celebrated 10 years of headspace with #headspaceday and hosted an open day at the centre on Wednesday 12th October. This day was a success thanks to the efforts of the wonderful community team that expanded with volunteers and students undertaking placements at the centre and the involvement of all the headspace Nundah team.
The preparation and planning of the days involved much input and idea generation by the youth reference groups.
highlights of the day:
- Seeing team members mingle and play together and with guests and visitors
- Catching up with a young person who I had met at a previous Saturday event, visit the centre for the open day and decide the time was right to get some help and filled in a referral form
- The dad who stopped in on his way to the barber shop to share his story of parenting and supporting his daughter who has an eating disorder and left with support and understanding
- The indigenous dance group from Mary Mackillop College who moved the audience with their expression of culture
- 30 students arriving just as the day was coming to an end in time for the cutting of the cake – impromptu talk from a team member along with tours of the centre quickly arranged and cake for everyone