Youth Advisory Group (YAG) Member - headspace Hawthorn & headspace Malvern
Deadline: 15 Jan 2023, 11:59 pm
Applications are now open until 11:59pm Sunday 15th January 2023!
Are you aged between 16-24? Are you passionate about youth mental health and wellbeing? Do you want to get involved in your local community? Apply to join the headspace Hawthorn & headspace Malvern Youth Advisory Group!
The headspace Hawthorn & headspace Malvern Youth Advisory Group (YAG) provides those aged 16 to 24 with the opportunity to have their voice heard and take positive action to improve the mental health and wellbeing outcomes for young people in the community.
The YAG is joint for both headspace centres. This means you will represent headspace Hawthorn & headspace Malvern in community engagement activities. There may be some instances where you will represent Hawthorn only, and similarly for Malvern.
headspace Hawthorn & headspace Malvern are operated by Access Health & Community.
What are the requirements?
Some of the key requirements for this role include:
- Applicants must be between 16 and 24 years of age
- Live, work or study in Boroondara, Stonnington, Whitehorse, Manningham and surrounding areas
- Applicants must not be a current headspace Hawthorn client, but can be a past client
- May or may not have a personal experience of mental health or alcohol and other drug concerns
- Provide evidence of Covid-19 vaccination (or exemption) in line with the AccessHC mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Victorian Government's Public Health Order
Please refer to the position description for additional requirements of this role.
What do I do as part of the YAG?
Key roles and responsibilities:
- Attend and actively participate in a monthly YAG meeting with the Community Engagement Coordinator.
- Be available to attend regular community events and activities.
- Work collaboratively and creatively with other members on YAG-led projects during meetings and between meetings.
- Participate in Facebook discussions and stay active with updates, meetings and events. This includes being timely in responding to posts in the YAG Facebook group.
- Assist with creating social media content and other resources.
- Assist with delivering presentations to young people at schools and universities with support from the Community Engagement Coordinator.
- Provide input and feedback on headspace Hawthorn & Malvern’s services, processes and initiatives with a youth perspective. This may involve advising on changes, Centre design, website content and more.
- Actively look after your own personal health and wellbeing and seek support when needed.
- Develop a range of skills including teamwork, health education, advocacy, public speaking, health promotion, project planning and event management.
- Meet and work with health professionals and other young people who have an interest in youth mental health.
- Experience working with members of the community from all walks of life and practice communication skills.
- Contribute to improvements in youth mental health services.
- Receive training in mental health, suicide prevention, alcohol and other drugs and other associated topics.
- References for education or employment opportunities.
- Create new friendships with passionate and like-minded young people.
What do I do next?
Please read the position description carefully before completing an application form. It provides further information about the role.
If you want to apply, click here and tell us a bit about you!
Need more information or have questions?
Email Sara.Hanna@accesshc.org.au or call 03 9006 6550.
For more information contact:
Phone: (03) 9006 6550