Deadline: 01/07/2016 12:00am
Applications are invited from suitably qualified medical practitioners eligible for registration in New South Wales for the above position within headspace Chatswood and headspace Brookvale, Northern Sydney Local Health District (NSLHD).
Applicants must be currently registered with the Medical Board of Australia and have current membership with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). If successful, the applicant will not be subsequently eligible to commence their appointment until after the relevant qualifications and requirements are formally completed.
headspace, the National Youth Mental Health Foundation Ltd, is an Australian government funded, not-for profit organisation committed to improving the lives of young people aged 12-25 years.
Each headspace centre is a youth friendly place where young people can access low cost or free help, for a range of health and wellbeing problems. Services are provided by a variety of professionals working in each centre including youth workers, allied mental health workers, GPs and Psychiatrists.
headspace is an early intervention service, so high prevalence disorders including anxiety and depression form the majority of presentations. In addition GPs are encouraged and supported to engage young people around sexual health, drug and alcohol, other psychical health problems as well as preventative health care.
Working at a headspace centre gives GP’s an opportunity to:
• Improve the lives of young people
• Provide a full range of health services, with an emphasis on managing mental health issues
• Be part of a supportive, multidisciplinary team
• Develop confidence and increased skills in working with young people
• Appointment management, bulk billing and practice management support enable the GP to focus on delivering high quality medical services to young people
• Access to onsite Private Allied Health Professional who provide Psychological Services under Medicare and ATAPS
• Smooth referral pathways into on site co-located providers, including Psychiatrists, Drug and Alcohol counsellors, Youth Health Nurse, vocational consultants, and youth homelessness case workers (Brookvale)
• Continuing Professional Development in field of Adolescent and Young Person health and mental health
• Access to headspace National Office GP Advisor
Other benefits include:
• Supervision and training including engaging young people, youth mental health and the headspace model of care;
• Focus on evidence based practice– from assessment to appropriate prescribing;
• Working within a multidisciplinary team– with access to support and joint management of patients with the clinical team;
• Modern fully computerised facilitates with full reception and admin support;
For enquiries about the position please contact Kathi Boorman, Service Director Child and Youth Mental Health Services NSLHD at (02) 9887 5469 or Hema Setty, Medical Workforce Manager MHDA at 9887 5563.
For more information contact:
Name: Kathi Boorman
Phone: (02) 9887 5469